About Jazz Age Jukebox
Ready for some real "old-school" DJ fun? Look no further than the Jazz Age Jukebox: two antique, hand-cranked Victrola phonographs and a stack of 78 RPM records.
The brainchild of Christian Stanfield, an aficionado of early 20th century music, the Jazz Age Jukebox is perfect for Roaring '20s and Great Gatsby-themed parties, and any event that needs a touch of swing, flappers, and the like.
Between songs, Christian can discuss the history of recording technology and the evolution of blues, jazz, and swing. He can focus on a specific decade of music, on regions, on holidays, or on musical genres. Themed programs include
• Topical — disaster songs (Titanic, Wreck of the Old ’97, etc), famous events, states, animals (he has a great program on funny songs about mules!), etc.
• Musical genres — jazz, blues, ragtime, Dixieland, country & western, early rockabilly & rock 'n roll, ethnic (Jewish, polka, Scandinavian, etc.), gospel and sacred, comedy, opera, and classical
• Marches & patriotic songs — great for Fourth of July, Memorial Day, etc.
• Holidays — Christmas, New Year's, Fourth of July, Halloween, etc.
• Historical themes — the evolution of musical genres, regional histories, or technological developments (for instance, the automobile) through recorded music
Christian is well-known as the band leader of the popular, eclectic act Side Street Steppers, renowned for their authentic repertoire of ragtime and Jazz Age tunes.